Smart Goal Examples
Difficulty summarizing your smart goal?
Below is a list of 15 smart goal examples that you can learn from.
Three things to point out first:
1. Notice that they all begin with 'I' - as you need to own the goal.
2. They are written in the present tense - so that when you announce your goal you get to feel that you have already achieved it.
(This is far better than phrasing it in the future tense. Saying 'I will' makes the goal seem far off and is a lot less motivating).
3. They are very specific. They include tangibles, things that you can see, hear, and feel. If you can, include numerics such as the amount of money, ideal weight, time etc
Note: Your smart goal summary should be highly motivating.
If you state your goal and you don't give yourself an 8,9 or 10 out of 10 for wanting it then you need to start again.
Examples of smart goals
- I am weighing Xkg, eating a salad every day and exercising four times a week by Dec 2011.
- I am weighing Xkg ,fitting into size x trousers and feeling fantastic by Dec 2011
- I am reading one book every month, twelve books a year by Dec 2011.
- I am drinking two litres of water every day by Dec 2011.
- I am moving into my brand new three bedroomed apartment in London by Dec 2011. I have views of both the river and the park and have private parking. The shops are only a 5 minute walk away.
- I have set up a bank account for my new business, already taken 2000 dollars in sales and generated 500 dollars profit all by Dec 2011.
- I have 5000 dollars savings in the bank by Dec 2011.
- I have visited New York, Boston , Philadelphia and Washington by Dec 2011 .
- I have successfully completed my first triathalon in New York by Dec 2011.
- I am spending fifteen minutes talking to my husband every day by Dec 2011.
- I am playing with my children every day and reading them a night time story every evening by Dec 2011.
- I am writing 500 words a day for my new 50 page website on mountain bikes by Dec 2011.
- I am sitting behind the steering wheel and proudly driving my new red brand X car by Dec 2011.
- I am the proud owner of a new apple ipad by Dec 2011.
So there you have it - smart goal examples to start you off on a sound footing!
Recommended Next Step?
Return to the smart goals mini course.
Return to Smart Goals from Smart Goal Examples